Breakaway Technique and Managing Conflict
Our one day course is designed for those in the health care and community support industries, responsible for the care of individuals with additional needs. This course offers you tools to help you manage conflict with confidence, and teaches breakaway techniques for if that fails.
Who is this course for?
- Frontline workers (local authority)
- Health care practitioners
- Housing association workers
- Housing officers
- Lone workers
- Mental health practitioners
- School teachers
- Social workers
- Substance misuse workers
- Support workers
- Voluntary sector staff
We will help you to have an awareness of signs and signals that could possibly highlight the potential threat of violence, and will discuss managing conflict, including win-win situations, and ways to try and de-escalate incidents before they reach any level of physical attack or violence.
If unfortunately an encounter does become more physical we will demonstrate and teach breakaway techniques to help you free yourself so you can manoeuvre to a place of safety.
- Identifying potential threats of violence
- Managing of conflict
- De-escalation of aggressive situations
- Legal rights regarding self-defence
- Application of force for self defence
- Breakaway techniques to protect yourself
We believe in the EDIP-C method of teaching.
- E - EXPLAIN the technique and where it may be applied
- D - DEMONSTRATE how to use the technique safely and effectively
- I - get you to IMITATE the technique you have just been shown
- P - you will then get time to PRACTICE the technique till you feel confident
- C - we will run practical scenarios so we can CONFIRM you have learnt the technique and you can CONFIRM it works!!
At the end of the course, students will be able to;
- Understand the principles of threat assessment
- Show an understanding of the law with regard to the application of self-defence techniques
- Recognise how situations can escalate
- Understand the application of reasonable force
- Demonstrate an understanding of techniques used to manage conflict
- Understand that breakaway techniques should only be used as a last resort when all other options have failed
- Safely demonstrate practical application of breakaway techniques
Our staff are all from an operational, frontline working background within the security industry and have tried and tested these techniques in real working environments. They all have good knowledge and are happy to answer questions or discuss techniques to help you carry out your business safely.
All techniques are suitable for men and women and are easy and effective to use.
At the end of the day we will present all successful candidates who demonstrate competence in the techniques shown with a certificate of achievement. For those that don’t reach our expected standards we are happy to continue working with you until both you and us are happy.
We work with you to help you work safely.
To enquire about how we can help your business, please get in touch using the contact form and we shall be in touch shortly.
To find out what other courses we offer that may help you or your business, please visit our training page.